Today I am trimming the cards where I marked them up yesterday. Turns out my paper cutter is brilliant on brute force stuff and not so good on finicky, trimming-type stuff. So I’m sat here with ninety cards and a pair of embroidery scissors. No idea where my paper scissors are but these are more than up to the job. I’m very proud of the Dunkirk spirit permeating my tools at the moment.
I’m not so proud of my cutting skills. The tools are awesome but the ability to cut along a straight line is not one of my gods-given skills, to be quite honest. Still, the purpose will be served. The cards will be closer to the same size as each other than before. So that’s fine.
Then it’s on to the numbering system, which requires me to guess roughly where the half millimetre mark would be on my ruler – this is far more up my alley. And then… INKING!!! And maybe some more drawing. I’ve got thirty-eight more cards to produce, might as well get started.
I’m rather looking forward to the numbering part (which doesn’t actually use numbers, since this game has no text at all) – I have a spreadsheet for this system, people. It’s very serious.
And my hand hurts from the scissor action, but I don’t care. Enjoying every minute…
I’m on a twenty-eight day countdown to Bristolcon. This is where I will be playtesting Be A Bard again (I’ve actually got a table in the Games Room, if you’re coming track me down!) and I want it to be a vast improvement on the deck people saw at FantasyCon. That ended up a bit rushed as I only had three days to ink everything and a few hours to cut the cards out before I headed up to York. But that’s okay. All I needed was a basic prototype so that people could see what I was going on about.
Now, of course, comes Stage Two.
Stage Two requires a rather more polished product because, let’s face it, a number of people saw the basic one and gave feedback on it and it’s rather encumbent on me to show I’ve a/taken that onboard and b/given a damn about general appearances. And, if I’m totally honest, I want it to look pretty.
So today is pencil and ruler and maths day. It involves taking every single card (currently ninety-seven of them, although there are a further twenty coming) and re-ruling the borders. The borders have to be 3mm wide on all sides (yes, they really do) and I want the cards to be about the same size because it really does just look SO MUCH BETTER. When I cut them out, as it was my paper cutter’s maiden voyage, it didn’t always go according to plan, so now I get to tidy them up and re-do any which are beyond saving (currently, that’s why I’m only re-ruling ninety-seven cards and not a hundred – three of them are beyond redemption).
The funny thing is, even though it’s very repetitive and makes my back hurt, I’m really rather enjoying this! The perfectionist in me enjoys marking things up so that they’re just so, marking where I’ll need to trim off any excess so that the deck looks more professional by the end of it. LOVING IT.
Loving it loving it loving it, I’m loving it like that…